Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Got Those Thermoregulation Blues!

Yahoo weather is telling me that the temperature in my tiny town is going to rise up into the hundreds this weekend.  This is powerful news to a little family that lives without air conditioning or even a fan.  This morning it was impossible to believe since it was so chilly when we woke that I put on a sweatshirt and sweatpants.  Now it's past noon, though, and the sun has moved out of the woods and into the middle of the sky.  I'm feeling the first serious warmth sink into my bones.  Am I worried?


Maybe a little about my tomatoes, which are still trying to hang on without shade cloth.  But about us?  Will the heat get us down?  No way!




We spent the morning preparing for the onslaught.  We shaded the windows on the west side of the house with  fabric, and covered the west side of the greenhouse with a reflective tarp.




We also prepared a slew of food that barely heated up the house but will sustain us without extra cooking for a few days.  If you want to see that you'll have to visit ExcepSchanel Gastronomy.




We moved some of our herbs that were dying in the overabundant sunshine to a shadier spot




And the next step will be to head down to the creek. There, we will while away the hours until the sun begins to fade and it is safe on the surface once again.




I have always had a hard time understanding how anyone who has the power of self mobility can suffer or die from heat in this nation.  I haven't seen the house or city apartment that has no means of access to water.  I am truly sad for those who cannot get themselves even into a bathtub or shower so  they can allow the coolness of the water to help them bring their core temperature down.  I do not know what to think about those who never think of such a simple solution to the problem because it goes against social norms to take cold showers.

Anyway,  if you need me, I'll be in the creek.

No comments: