I still feel a little fragile, but I think I'm back.
Last night I had the worst night I've had in about thirteen or fourteen years. It all started Tuesday with a cough. I just couldn't stop coughing. Then Wednesday morning I felt much better! I took a shower, and set to go to Glasgow, KY with the family. I felt like my head was underwater most of the time but beyond that it wasn't too bad. Then on the way home I started the big downward spiral. By 7:30 p.m. sitting by the fire I was fully tapped out and went to bed.
Suffice it to say that my mucous membranes proceeded to have a party on an unprecedented scale, complete with wild drunkenness, slam dancing, and apartment thrashing. They may have even burned a few cars in the process. And do you know what? They didn't have the courtesy to invite my mind or body along, which left me looking at the first rays of morning sunlight feeling like the devastated room in which the party had been held.
Here's where the good part begins. My sweetheart brought me a cup of magic potion, and then a small glass of orange juice, and THEN breakfast in bed. Oh glory! If only I had felt good enough to truly enjoy it! It was as delicious as my wan taste buds would allow me to notice. He encouraged me to stay in bed until I felt better, all day if necessary, he would take care of everything. True love is such a wonderful thing!
I lay in bed the whole morning feeling disembodied, breathing through my mouth the warm moist air under the covers (since breathing through my nose was completely out of the question.) Now as the sun is setting I am coming back to life once again. Thanks to a lot of love and a little magic.
I can't guarantee anyone the loving care but I can pass on to you all the magic potion recipe. It'll cure what ails ya!
1. Get out your favorite coffee or tea mug (the bigger the better).
2. Peel a clove of garlic and drop it in. (for extra potency you can put in an extra clove, slicing one of them.)
3. Quarter a lemon or lime and drop one quarter in the cup.
4. Slice two or three slices of fresh ginger and drop them in the cup.
5. Get a generous pinch of cayenne pepper and drop it into the cup.
6. Scoop or squirt about a tablespoon of honey into the cup
7. Fill the cup to the brim with freshly boiled water
8. Gently sip this wonderful elixir and feel it going to work on all of the dreadful symptoms you are experiencing.
Each of the ingredients can be varied according to taste, but please
don't leave any out. Each one has powerful health benefits.
1. Garlic - A powerful antibiotic. What's more, our bodies apparently do not develop a resistance to garlic's healing properties!
2. Lemon or Lime - Very high in vitamin C. These citrus fruits are also anti-bacterial and particularly help with throat infections!
3. Ginger - An anti-inflammatory,
which is also very helpful for gastrointestinal distress. It relaxes
the inflammation in your throat, and if you are experiencing any nausea
it helps with that as well!
4. Cayenne - Helps break up mucous
and flush it out of the body. It's also great for headaches, it's
another anti inflammatory, it's an anti allergen, it's high in vitamin
C, and it's another digestive aid!
5. Honey - A great energy and immune system builder.
Also, of course, it sweetens the mix. If you can get local honey it's
all the better. Exposure to local pollens through the honey makes you
more allergy resistant. There's not enough good stuff to say about
One other optional ingredient. If your lover
makes the potion for you, the benefits are more powerful!
For an extra mega-boost, when you finish drinking the tea, chew up the garlic! Wowza!!!